OUR CHURCH HISTORY
Swedish Mission Church: In 1889, a small group of Bible-focused believers followed God’s lead and chartered the Swedish Mission Church of Mankato. In 1895, a church seating 125 was built in lower North Mankato. Most of the labor was completed by members of the congregation. Over the next 50 years, the church became known as “the Little Church with the Big Welcome.”
Swedish Congregational Mission Church: “Self-sacrifice” and “earnest devotion” are words used in early records of the church to characterize members who committed themselves to this undertaking. Still in lower North Mankato, the church affiliated with a movement known as “congregationalism.”
Evangelical Covenant Church: The church began participating in work related to national denomination, which became the Evangelical Covenant Church. Our local congregation formally affiliated with the national group and changed its name to “Evangelical Covenant Church” in 1941. In 1958, plans for a new four-lane highway resulted in the demolition of our building. By 1960, a new church building was completed on Carol Court in upper North Mankato. On November 12, 1960, after only two months in the new building, a propane explosion lifted the church above the treetops and the entire structure crashed in a pile of rubble! With city-wide support, renewed faith, and amazing cooperation, a second building was erected on the same footings. This building was dedicated in October 1961.
Ministries bloomed at “Covenant” in the 1970s and 1980s. Covenant Christian Child Care Center (5C’s) was established. This program continues to serve the whole community. The AWANA program began. The congregation called a Pastor of Youth Ministry and a Pastor of Christian Education and Care. Several building projects added more space for ministries at Carol Court.
During the 1990s, our worship went through significant changes. Attendance outgrew the seating available in the Sanctuary, so worship services moved to the new Multi-Purpose Room. We called a full-time Worship Director in 1995. Our worship incorporated worship arts in a contemporary style while maintaining the integrity of our faith, in order to convey our praise and thanksgiving to the Lord.
Crossview Covenant Church: After many years of prayer, the church began construction of a second facility, this time on Howard Drive, next to a local Middle School, in September 2007. In January 2008, with the opening of our new facility nearing, the congregation voted to change our name to Crossview Covenant Church. The building was completed in October 2008. We maintained the facility on Carol Court (about 1 mile away) for offices and youth programs for three years. In December of 2011, we sold the Carol Court building to the local Evangelical Free Church.
Over the past 120 years, our church has grown from a membership of 35 to more than 450, with around 700 members and friends attending each Sunday morning. We give all the glory and praise to God for the work He is doing in the Mankato region.