Emergency Shelter Volunteer Training
Thursday, Mar. 15
Crossview will be hosting an emergency shelter for up to 25 individuals during the week of March 25-April 1. This is a great opportunity to serve our community! 15-20 volunteers are needed each night that we host the shelter. If you would like to volunteer, please plan to attend the training session. RSVP to Aaron Thompson for more details.
Volunteers are needed for:
- Set up Team
- 2-3 volunteers (6-7pm)
- Set-up rooms with cots and blankets
- Guests arrive around 7:30pm
- Might be once or several times during the week we host
- Snack/Meal Team
- 2 or more volunteers (6-9:30pm)
- Provides the snacks or simple meal. Snack providers: it is possible that snacks/meals could be dropped off at church ahead of time.
- Serves food as guests arrive
- Cleans up food and trash
- Volunteers may do it every night or for a few days or the whole week.
- Hospitality Team
- 3-8 volunteers (7-9:30pm)
- Issue cots and bedding
- Assign and directs guests to their spaces
- Provides an evening activity (games, craft, books, movie, etc.)
- Keeps building secure
- “Passes the baton” to shelter staff at 9:30pm
- Overnight Hosts
- 2-3 volunteers (9:30pm-6am---shifts can be split)
- Assist with building and guest needs,
- Work with Connections Shelter staff to supervise guests: there must be at least one volunteer on site with the staff person at all times.
- These volunteers should not expect to sleep, as they will conduct a facilities check every 45 min-1 hour throughout the night
- Morning Team
- 3-5 volunteers (6am-8:30am)
- Direct guests in how to clean up (wipe down cots, clean up space): this should be done every morning after guests leave about 7:30 a.m.
- We will need people to purchase: 30 new pillows, and 30 new twin-sized fitted sheets. They can be dropped off at church.
- On Thursday, Nov 9 (6:30-7:30pm we will have a shelter training and 7:30-8:30pm we will be making welcome "bags" at church).
- Volunteers will take used bedding to the cleaners as needed, or at the end of the week, then returned for storage until the next time Crossview hosts.
- Shelter guests might arrive with a pet…host families might be needed.