Emergency Shelter Volunteer Training
Tuesday, Nov. 7 (6:30-8:00pm)
Thursday, Nov. 9 (6:30-8:30pm)
Crossview will be hosting an emergency shelter for up to 25 individuals (men, women and children) during the weeks of Nov 19-26 and Dec 17-24. Training dates at Crossview are Tuesday, Nov 7 (6:30-8:00pm) or Thursday, Nov 9 (6:30-7:30pm we will have a shelter training and 7:30-8:30pm we will be making welcome "bags" at church).
Volunteers are needed for:
- Set up Team
- 2-3 volunteers (6-7pm)
- Set-up rooms with cots and blankets
- Guests arrive around 7:30pm
- Might be once or several times during the week we host
- Snack/Meal Team
- 2 or more volunteers (6-9:30pm)
- Provides the snacks or simple meal. Snack providers: it is possible that snacks/meals could be dropped off at church ahead of time.
- Serves food as guests arrive
- Cleans up food and trash
- Volunteers may do it every night or for a few days or the whole week.
- Hospitality Team
- 3-8 volunteers (7-9:30pm)
- Issue cots and bedding
- Assign and directs guests to their spaces
- Provides an evening activity (games, craft, books, movie, etc.)
- Keeps building secure
- “Passes the baton” to shelter staff at 9:30pm
- Overnight Hosts
- 2-3 volunteers (9:30pm-6am---shifts can be split)
- Assist with building and guest needs,
- Work with Connections Shelter staff to supervise guests: there must be at least one volunteer on site with the staff person at all times.
- These volunteers should not expect to sleep, as they will conduct a facilities check every 45 min-1 hour throughout the night
- Morning Team
- 3-5 volunteers (6am-8:30am)
- Direct guests in how to clean up (wipe down cots, clean up space): this should be done every morning after guests leave about 7:30 a.m.
- We will need people to purchase: 30 new pillows, and 30 new twin-sized fitted sheets. They can be dropped off at church.
- On Thursday, Nov 9 (6:30-7:30pm we will have a shelter training and 7:30-8:30pm we will be making welcome "bags" at church).
- Volunteers will take used bedding to the cleaners as needed, or at the end of the week, then returned for storage until the next time Crossview hosts.
- Shelter guests might arrive with a pet…host families might be needed.